Giving to SDSU Physics
The Dept. of Physics appreciate the continuing support of it’s alumni. We also appreciate the local San Diego high-tech companies who provide both monetary and in-kind donations in recognition of the service that we provide to the region through our well-trained graduates.
Financial Donations of all sizes can be made securely on the university’s give-online website. For further info, contact the Department of Physics Chair, or the College of Science Director of Development Stacy Carota via email at
firstname.lastname@example.org or by regular mail
Director of Development, College of Sciences
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182
- MHP Fund: The Medical Health Physics Graduate program trains the next generation of medical physicists in Southern California.
- Industrial Affiliate Program for Optics: Our optics program has a costly set of laser laboratories to train our masters and undergraduate students.
- Thomas B. Day Awards for Excellence in Physics are awarded annually to an outstanding faculty member and one or more students in the Department of Physics. They help support recipients financially and in advancing their careers while honoring the sixth president of San Diego State University who was an exceptional physicist and a champion of the teacher-scholar model. A reception is held each year to announce the awardees and thank the generous donors.
- Doc Morris Public Lecture Series is a yearly public lecture which is free and aimed at the wider San Diego community. Since 2005 this event had attracted interest from our local high-schools, community colleges, and other universities, as well as on-campus. The cost of this event can be significant, involving the speaker’s transport, accommodation and meals along with associated marketing costs. A reception is held before-hand to thank all of that year’s donors to the Department.
- The John B. Ferguson Memorial Fund: This fund provides grants to upper division Physics majors to pay for their textbooks. The John B. Ferguson Fund will provide a lasting memory of John while helping our students.
- General Physics Fund: Not very glamorous, but this provides for coffee and cookies at our weekly Research Colloquia, and our end-of-semester and holiday parties which express gratitude to the many Graduate Teaching Assistants, Lecturers and our Staff.